|The library was established together with ‘Research Center for Languages and Cultures of Southeast Asia’ at the 2nd floor of the Administrative Building, Siriraj Hospital.
|the library was officially named ‘Institute of Language and Culture for Rural Development Library’ as part of the project established “Institute of Language and Culture for Rural Development” on 29 July 1981.
|The library was moved on the 2nd floor, Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities Building, Mahidol University, Salaya campus. At that time, it was a small reading room.
|The library had the first librarian, Ms. Marasri Sornmun, and changed the classification system to be international standard system. Moreover, the library had interlibrary loan service as the library services was developed under management framework of Research Institute for Languages and Cultures of Asia. For the first period of printed matters provided until 1988, the library provided especially in language field (Linguistics and Southeast Asia Language) which was the first and only Master degree course for education and research that time.
|The library was under Office of the Library according to Mahidol University Act B.E. 2530 (1987) for being the same standard and efficiently using resource together.
|The library had more printed matters according to educational courses and researches of Institute: Cultural Studies Programme, Language and Culture for Communication and Development Programme (At the present, changed to Language and Intercultural Communication), and Multicultural Studies (International Program)
|The library moved to the 3rd floor, General Instruction Building, Faculty of Graduate Studies, Mahidol University, Salaya campus, as the temporary office.
|The library changed the library system to be Automated Library for users was able to search catalog via internet in all university campus. The library provided circulation service by barcode system. On 5th September 1999, the library was moved to the 1st floor of the Princess Sirindhorn Language and Culture Building as the permanent office until the present.
|The library changed its name again to “Research Institute for Languages and Cultures of Asia Library” in line with the institute’s new name. Then, Office of the Library was changed the structure and named ‘Mahidol University Library and Knowledge Center.’ On May 2009, Research Institute for Languages and Cultures of Asia Library was under ‘Library Services Network Office’ of Mahidol University Library and Knowledge Center.
|1. Ms.Marasri Sornmun
|Oct. 1984 – Mar. 2004
|2. Ms.Tippawan Intamahan
|Mar. 2004- Nov. 2004
|3. Ms.Tapin Jirakhuntacha
|Nov. 2004- Feb. 2014
|4. Ms.Kansiri Phoonthong
|Feb. 2014- Oct. 2021
|5. Ms.Wichuphorn Boonthanapaisanvong
|Oct. 2021- Present
Research Institute for Languages and Cultures of Asia Library is one of the most complete information resources about Languages and Cultures of Asia in Thailand for educational support, learning, research for lecturers, researchers, and students of Research Institute for Languages and Cultures of Asia. The library provides collections focusing on languages and Linguistics in Asian and ethnic groups, Cultural Studies (Medical Anthropology, Museum Studies, Musical Anthropology, Social and Cultural Studies, Rural Development Studies, Indian Studies), Language and Intercultural Communication (Language Teaching, Translation, Intercultural Communication for Administration), Multicultural Studies (International Programme) according to Master and Doctoral Degree progammes, including Thai Language and Culture Education Management for international students. The library also provides services for Faculty/ Institute/ Collage in Mahidol University, and general public to use resources fast and efficiently with Mahidol Library Network System.
The Library’s important missions:
- Manage the library to meet Mahidol University Library and Knowledge Center strategies and harmonize with Research Institute for Languages and Cultures of Asia strategies
- Provide information resource to meet educational prgrammes and researches of Research Institute for Languages and Cultures of Asia:
- 2.1 Provided by allocated budget from Mahidol University Library and Knowledge Center
- 2.2 Provided by subsidies from Research Institute for Languages and Cultures of Asia and Faculty of Graduate Studies
- 2.3 Provided by complimentary from public and private sectors
- Prepare information resource for service
- 3.1 Examine, sort out, register, and prepare printed metters for providing service
- 3.2 Create bibliographic and item records, catalog and assign subject headings in databases of Sierra automated library system
- 3.3 Repair and maintain resources
- Provide library services
- 4.1 Borrow and return services: Mahidol Book Delivery & Interlibrary Loan service
- 4.2 Electronic Document Delivery Service (EDDS)
- 4.3 Library orientation, Catalog Search
- Create public relations works such as library news and related on Group LINE, Group mail, and Facebook fan page to disseminate information, support services and resource access to meet the user need, be fast, easy, and up-do-date.
Overall area : 201.6 square meters
Service area : 151.2 square meters
Operating area : 50.4 square meters
Reading seats : 28 seats
Library Service Officer, Experienced Level
1st Floor, Princess Sirindhorn Language and Culture Building, Research Institute for Languages and Cultures of Asia, Mahidol University